Re: Late reply on equipping new players

From: Daniel [Trice] Koepke (dkoepke@global.california.com)
Date: 06/23/95

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Pete wrote:

> The original person called the do_newbie (equips newbie characters)
> function from nanny. Why not call it or incorporate it into the do_start
> function in class.c. Seems the perfect place for it.

Well, it _would_ be a good place, but since Jeremy got lazy <wink>,
do_start is called from 'advance <player> 1', so that'd give characters
the starting eq, allowing them to sell it to make more money.  There is
two solutions, depending on how bored you are or which ever you find
easiest.  The first is quite simply do: 'command_interpreter(ch, "remove
all", 0, 0)' and 'command_interpreter(ch, "junk all", 0, 0);' then
removing the 'junk all' restriction.  That's quite lame, and gives
messages, so you can do this the same way, but actually use 'while' to
check if the char still has equipment, then extract_obj it.  The second
method isn't too difficult either, simply move most of the existing
do_start code to another procedure, have do_start equip the newbies, and
call the new do_start, and have 'advance' use do_start.

> I also set up a double array to equip the new player depending on the
> class they choose. A thief gets a dagger, a warrior a sword, etc. But i
> guess if you give them all crap to start with anyway, it is not going to
> make a difference :)

Actually, it does make a difference.  I gave my newbies my eq I made
specifically for them.  It wasn't dazzling, but it helped keep the newbie
population up, even if they didn't have much use for the sorry eq, and it
didn't help them that much, it did keep a few players who 'need the
newbie eq' there.  I also gave the eq so-so prices so they could sell
like two newbie eq to get one better eq...

It's generally not the eq that the players like, it's the idea that the
imps are trying to make the game easier to start off playing, and that
they want players to have as much fun as possible. <wink>

|  __| _ | _ ) __ ) __| Daniel Koepke           aka: Trice Sabre
|__  |   | _ ' _  ' _|  Crimson Realms (mud.california.com 1234)
|____|_|_|___)| \_\___| Email for info on the Diku NiMUD server!