Re: Access for coders

From: Chris Herringshaw (xxviper@umich.edu)
Date: 07/18/95

This may be pretty obvious, but I've had several system users encounter
the same problem (although not with a MUD) regarding group permissions.
They forget to use the newgrp command, to switch their current group
to the one required.

For argument's sake, let's assume I have a circle account, and
the /src and /lib directories are all included in group "coder",
with the appropriate permissions.

On our system, the user starts in a default group (staff), and when
they try to access the /circle/lib files from a non-circle account,
it will say permission denied, since they are currently in the "staff"
group.  They often forget to switch to the "coder" group by issuing a
"newgrp coder" at the shell prompt, which makes their current group
"coder".  After they do this, they are able to manipulate all files
which belong to group coder, and have the right permissions.

This may or may not be your problem, but our users encounter this
regularly.

---
Christopher Herringshaw       | University of Michigan Medical Center
Special Projects Development  | 1500 East Medical Center Dr. B1-240TC
xxviper@umich.edu             |        Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0704
http://www.umich.edu/~xxviper |                  +0101 (313) 747-2778