Re: Circle Text Editor, was: Is there a getch()?

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 02/08/96

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Edward Becker wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:07:22 +1130 (???) you wrote:
>
> >What really needs to be fixed about the current editor is that you still
> >see weather and and sun stuff going on.  Its really annoying wheny our
> >finishing up a 20 line description and you see... The Sun goes down
> >It really screws ya up
>
> I think everyone is missing something.
>
> There shouldn't be a need for a new editor in circle,  if everyone is
> using their OS correctly.  I'm using OS/2, and whenever I have something
> I want post such as a board message or a new room description, I simply
> fire up my favorite editor, write it, Stick it in my clipboard then post
> it to my telnet process.  Works great, especially with room
> descriptions, as I even have a backup in case something goes wrong.
> Plus, it's lag friendly. ;-)

That's a good work-around, but for many people it's either inconvenient
or impossible.  When I'm using telemate to dial in, I can jump to a dos
shell, but it doesn't leave me with much memory, so it would be very
difficult for me to use cut and paste from here.  It's also a pain to
have to do something like that when an improved text editor in circle
(bringing it up to unix or dos 'ed', which are both dino-tech) would make
writing mail, etc much easier.

> I don't know much about unix, but surely it is cut/paste friendly
> even  in text mode, am I wrong?

There's a unix package that will let you do this, but due to lack of hard
drive space and memory I don't have it.  I could load up X, but it's slow
and cumbersome on my machine.

When I'm building zones, I always do all descriptions offline after
setting things up online, but that doesn't help much when writing mail.
The other thing is the problem with people not remembering to hit return
after each line.  I wish I had a dime for every person who's complained
that when they write a message, only 3 or 4 lines save :)

Sam