Various things...

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/17/96

I was thinking of ways to remove the "magick" apostrophes need in cast
(eg., so you can type "cast create water").  I would have done it rather
quickly, but then I realized that doing so would make it impossible to
distinguish the spell name from the target of the spell.  Then I thought
of reversing the order of cast so that the target would come first, but
once again, there was no way to distinguish the target and the spell name
from each other.  I then decided if I made a "target" command I don't
need to have a target argument in cast, but this required two different
commands (although it would potentially allow for not needing the target
argument when casting multiple spells on one person).  I was planning on
sticking with <target>, even though it had the major disadvantage of
requiring people to learn how to use <cast> over again...  But before I
did that, I was wondering if other people have removed the "'"s from the
cast command before, and if so, what did you decide upon doing?

Also, I was planning on making my MUD skill-based, I've got the
underlying plan worked out and I'm certain I can accomplish it with a
bit of thought and some work, but I've not got one thing worked out.
How would one get practices to learn spells in this system.  There was
several ways I could think of, the first would be to get practices when
you kill an enemy, much like experience.  Another method I was
considering was having them ``buy'' practices or just use their money
per practice instead of having practice points at all.  I thought that
the latter would be much better since (a) we don't have rent and this
allows for gold to build up much easier, (b) people whom prefer to be
healers or spell-casters shouldn't have to go in and fight a savage for
them to advance in levels.  Also because it influences more exploration
than the first, since you don't run the risk of loosing your practices
(except if you die) while you travel out to find teachers, but you can
loose money by having it stolen from you, needing to buy supplies,
fleing from a kill, etc. and thus you may find that you'll need to
explore much more to get the neccessary money to get to the teacher and
then to learn the skills.  Anyone have a better idea or any thoughts?

--
Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@california.com>
Implementor of LEGENDS AND LORE 2