Re: Various things...

From: Skylar (skylar@ifconfig.intserv.com)
Date: 02/18/96

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, ShadowLord wrote:

> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 15:34:08 -0800 (PST)
>
> Also, I was planning on making my MUD skill-based, I've got the
> underlying plan worked out and I'm certain I can accomplish it with a
> bit of thought and some work, but I've not got one thing worked out.
> How would one get practices to learn spells in this system.  There was
> explore much more to get the neccessary money to get to the teacher and
> then to learn the skills.  Anyone have a better idea or any thoughts?

I think, as a general rule, having money=power on muds is a bad idea.
There are just too mant possible bugs and possible ways for people to
cheat and then "buy" their way to the top.  Here is what I did on my mud
to make it skill-based...

First, there is no experience, no levels and no practices.  As it stands
now, you pick a class and get some beginning skills when you start off.
You can improve these skills 3 ways; learn_by_use (failing to do something),
learn_by_teach (someone (PC) instructs you), and learn_by_study (books).
You have a limmited number of skills/spells that you can learn at once,
which is determined by wisdom and intelligence both.  When you learn a
skill by any of the three ways, it is stored (up to your limit) in a linked
list on your character with when it was last learned.  Each time you make
an attempt to learn something new, it checks for open slots and expired
timers on what you've already learned (I use the formula wis+int/3 for
number of learnable skills and have a 10 minute timer on each learn).
Now, under this system, when you reach a pre-determined ability in a
certain skill, I give you anther (branch) skill.. for instance, once you
reach 75% in sneak, I give you hide at 10%, you can then learn hide, and
once that has a reached a certain point, it might also branch to
something else... (not all skills branch and some double branch... its
kind of difficult to rationalize out the relationships between them).

Right now, I'm in the midst of chucking out the classes as well, and just
letting people pick their beginning skills, which would determine what
other skills they can branch to in the future, kind of letting them make
their own classes this way...

This is just one way to do it, I dont know if its the best, its definitely
not the easiest... I'm not too sure how well it would work on a H&S MUD.

-Sky