descriptor help needed

From: David Blocher (dblocher@postoffice.ptd.net)
Date: 02/29/96

I am running into some problems with a special that is supposed to track
down the highest mortal playing in the mud.  Currently I am using the
following code to find out who is the highest:
  tch = NULL;
  for (d = descriptor_list; d; d = d->next) {
   if (d->character)
      if ((GET_LEVEL(d->character) > lvl)&&(GET_LEVEL(d->character) < LVL_HERO))
        {
        lvl = GET_LEVEL(d->character);
        tch = d->character;
        }
  }

I tried testing  (If connected) but i never seemed to find a char then.
Is there a better way , or should I add some more checks , This code seems
to run fine for a while, a day or 2 then I get a random crash. I can provide
the whole special if it is desired.
Any help is appreciated,
Vain
David Blocher                  "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
dblocher@postofiice.ptd.net     J.B.
Carpenter Technology Corp.