Re: OLC troubles

From: Nova Logic (nova@ra1.randomc.com)
Date: 03/03/96

On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, Harvey Gilpin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I seem to remember someone mentioning they were having trouble with
> the OLC from jhu.  Their muds were crashing for no apparent reason.
> Well, I've just down-loaded and inserted it into Circle3pl9 and
> found a bug in it.  It doesn't update the Zone Reset Table when
> adding new rooms to the world data (with redit).

Remember all...
This redit/iedit 'circ-olc.tar?' only has redit/iedit
i.e, You may only edit rooms, much to the name its self, it is not made
to install or even add rooms, it will not even think about zones, hell,
it don't even know what a zone it! My mud has been up in texting for 2
weeks now, its bpl8 with circ-olc and the v2 patch on the olc 'you can
get that at cambot.res.jhu.edu where the rest of that cool stuff is'
But anyways, i had all my imms make a room...But if they wanted doors,
they would have to mail me, You MUST, **MUST**, edit the zone files off
line, if you don't know how to do this, get your builder to, if you dont
have a builder, and don't know how to do this, why are you running a mud?
*smirk* but that OLC will NOT do nothing with the zone files, it will
also give you enough syserrs 'online' to spam anyone off, so after you
add a room with redit, you must reboot, if you add a door, i't do
'shutdown pause' to give myself time to edit the zone file with the door
so i don't make the mud go crazy 'and myself'.

> I expect much the same problem applies to 'iedit' but I haven't
> looked into that yet.

Hrm. ugh!
Iedit, hmm, items/objs don't have zone files, so you won't get no 'door
not found' errors :P But forever, look out for more then one person in
the editor at a time, this is how it works...
NovaLogic types iedit 3010
then he gets in the editor
the olc take the whole file, and load it into system RAM, and your stuck
with a xxx.obj file thats 0 bytes long on your hard drive.
Sooooo, if you got 2 people in edit, then by chance someone fooks up,
you'll loce your obj file and run a chance of a nice mud crash, that
happen to me 3 times befor it hit me 'MAKE A OBJ/WLD BACKUP!!!'
you can make objs, then use them right away with them acting as thay
would if you made then off line, but i use this in my mud imm handbook as
a rule...

19)
If you find someone is in the olc and you want to use it, wate, if i find
that 2 people have been on olc at the same time, the last person to enter
the olc will get put on ice and banned!

> Anyhow, If your mud gives you lots of 'door does not exist' errors
> after using OLC, this is probably the cause.  If anyone wants the fix,
> let me know.

Fix? how would you fix that without the olc loading a door into the game,
and telling it how to edit the zone file? if you had done this, grats!
Send it over via e-mail, i'd love to see it..

Nova