Re: bug in bitfield code

From: Brian Pape (bpape@ezl.com)
Date: 03/07/96

> > I found a bug in the bitfield code.
> > should be changed to:
> >                                     *b &= ~(*c); }
>
> Now I've heard a lot about bitfields recently but I'm mnot exactlyu sure
> what iut is they do. Can someone let me know what advantage bitfields have
> over bitvectors?

They're the same thing (at least as applied to circle code), it just lets
you store up to (for instance) 32 on/off or true/false (whatever you want
to call it) flags in a 32 bit integer.  Technically, you could consider a
'bit field' to be of a storage field of 1 or more bits, and a bitvector to
be a value holding 'n' bitfields of the same size, but since they aren't
used that way in the circlemud code, you can consider bitfield and
bitvector to be identical.  (as in a value holding up to 'n' single-bit
flags).

Brian Pape
bpape@ezl.com