Re: License Diku / Circle

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 03/11/96

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, The Darkest Soul... wrote:

> It's a hypothetical case but you could technically argue that they are
> donating to the mud still but on the other hand it's not going to the ppl
> who run the mud it's going to the bbs that most of the players on the mud use
> So do ppl and particularly jeremy think a situation like that would be a
> breach of the CircleMUD licence?

I don't think Jeremy or the Diku gang are looking for small grey area
cases to prosecute.  The spirit of the license is that if you use circle
or any other diku variant, you're on your own honor not to accept any
money for what you do.  If you're running it as a feature of a bbs that
you already accept donations or dues for, I don't think there would be
any problem assuming you don't ask for them anywhere on the mud.

The license is pretty clear in that if you decide to put up a circle mud,
you're agreeing to pay for all expenses out of your own pocket.  It may
sound harsh, but what do you want for free? :)

Sam