Re: GDB

From: Naved A Surve (naved@mailhost.taponline.com)
Date: 04/11/96

In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.960411123526.29741A-100000@brain.uccs.edu> you said:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Naved A Surve wrote:
> > > On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Edward Almasy wrote:

> > > 	After flaming his ass at least you could have recommended a book
> > > on gdb
> >
> > No.

> > That is the wrong thing to do.  It only encourages people to post irrelevant
> > messages to lists that have very specific topics.                 ^^^^^^^^^

> 	Are you implying that gdb is not useful to circlemud coders ? I
> hope thats not what you meant, most people would agree that gdb is the
> only way to route out those vicious bugs that only show up occasionally.

I am not implying that at all.  What I am saying is that discussion about
the use of gdb is irrelevant for a circlemud mailing list.  I disagree that
gdb is the only way to route out vicious bugs.  There is also dbx, and adb,
if you are really a guru, od, and many many other debuggers.  Are you
suggesting we explain every debugger and how to use them on a circlemud
mailing list?  of course not.  Each debugger has its own list.

> 	I do agree the message was inappropriate, but only because it
> covers such a broad area, much like someone posting "how do I run
> circle". Both questions should get a RTFM responce, but with gdb, manuals
> are not obvious (no /doc directory, and man page is kinda skimpy).

I personally found the help files for gdb to be one of the best of all the
debuggers out there.  The fact is that if people get distracted by things
like compilers and debuggers, where do we have the time to talk about what
we want to talk about, which is circlemud.

Naved