Re: Coredump question

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 04/19/96

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Sean P. Mountcastle wrote:

> 	If using Linux 1.2.13 besure to add this to you makefile under
> cflags:
> 	-ggdb -m486
> 	This appears to have solved the problem.  But, for those of you
> who are Linux gurus, why does this only happen in this particular version
> of Linux?

Hmm.. It shouldn't be needed.  I've used both Slackware 2.3 and 3.0, both
upgraded to 1.2.13, and I have (had, I'm using 1.3.85 now) such problem.

The -m486 doesn't really have anything to do with this either, it simply
tells the compiler to optimize for a 486( which is a good idea if you
have a 486 :)

Adding the -g option to the compiler should also default to gdb, at least
with gcc.

Solution: I'm not sure.. But if you are going to upgrade to a newer
kernel(as suggested in a earlier post), you should probably move tho one
of the newer ones, since they will generally be more stable(e.g. 1.3.9x).

Well.. enough babble from me..

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who it's friends are."
                                                  -- Nem Schlecht