Re: Coredump question

From: Mark Andrew Crichton (crichton@ecn.purdue.edu)
Date: 04/19/96

[MUCH STUFF DELETED]

> Solution: I'm not sure.. But if you are going to upgrade to a newer
> kernel(as suggested in a earlier post), you should probably move tho one
> of the newer ones, since they will generally be more stable(e.g. 1.3.9x).

Great...here we go again...

For Linux 1.3 (esp. with Slackware), the core file format changed AGAIN (esp
with the radical move to ELF)

Grab the LATEST gdb-elf from tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/GCC (?). It's named
something like gcc-elf-4*.  This works under the 1.3 kernels and handles the
new ELF format core dump.

This should work...it solved my problems.

Mark Crichton

(as a sidenote...why are people using 1.3 Linux DEVELOPMENT kernels and NOT
subscribed to the linux-kernel mailing list....esp. now that there is a working
digest now. I mean...you DO keep abrest of changes if you do :) (I've seen the
answers to this question there, as well as comp.os.linux.development.system and
friends...))