Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: Tim Yohn (yohnt@southwind.net)
Date: 04/30/96

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, ShadowLord wrote:

> 	Assuming you're not the Micro-Machines' spokesman, when was the
> last time you spoke so fast or heard someone speak so fast you could not
> distinguish between words?  I don't know about you, but even when someone
> is speaking really fast I don't have that much trouble finding and
> distinguishing words.

	This is very true if you know the language, but suppose you hear
someone speaking russian and have no clue as to what thier saying, How are
you supposed to know where one word ends and the next starts (Trust me I
know, I've tried learning russian, it's not an incredibaly fast spoken
language but to someone that's never heard it I couldn't imagine trying to
tell the diffrence between 'Ktoeta?' and 'Kto eta?' It's almost said like
one word even tho they are distenctly two diffrent words... And for those
of you that acually speak russian don't flame me, I don't know that much
and what I know is useless in real life...)

	Now for the mud part of this to avoid flames...

     --	The rest is to the list in general...

	We are working on imp'ing languages on a PK mud, it's going to be
nice for say a group of dwarves going on a dwarf hunt, or vice versa, the
chances of a dwarf knowing elven will be slim to none (most languages will
be racial or specific to class).  That way when the dwarves show up on the
elven city the elves have no clue what those three dwarves are saying
until it's too late.  Sure you can emote but 90 percent of the races will
start with a common language (I don't know what to call it yet but for now
it'll be 'Common') so the talking through emote is pointless unless your a
strange race from the back 40 that can't speak common.

	I guess that means that languages will pretty much only be used
for disguising (sp.) speach between characters.  And we plan on looking
into the spell_parser.c file for scrambling languages, but havn't made a
decision on what we want to do yet...

--
Glutious Numbious Maximus - Numbuttitis:
  The failure to feel you butt after staring at a terminal all day long...