Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 04/29/96

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, ShadowLord wrote:
>
> > 	?que estacionamento de radio es este?
> >  	[what radio station is this?]
>
> Actually is "Estacion de Radio es esta"...:)
>
> Anyway, what about implementing something like it is in NetHack (I can
> presume someone here has played at least once NetHack, I have in my Mac,
> in windows, in DOS, os/2 and UNIX..:)
>
> The way they do it is by ramdonly erasing parts of messages and
> substituting them with "x"'s, so "What radio station is this" Could be
> read as "Wxxxt xxdxo xtxtxon xs xxis" for someone that has no idea of
> the language (thus simulating in some way the way some languages can be
> partly understood) to something like "Whax radxo statxxn ix txis" for
> someone more versed (say, 90%) and to the full "What radio station is
> this" for a 100% knowledge of the language. This could apply to read and
> heard language.

I've seen muds that do exactly that.  The simple workaround that players
learn is to write mail or whatever like this:

WWWWWhhhhhaaaaaattttt rrrrraaaaaadddddiiiiiooooo etc etc..

I'm not saying don't use this method.  If you really want to imp
languages, I think you have these choices:

1) Scramble or blot out random letters
2) Make unknown languages random gibberish or a text message
3) Double the circle code in order to imp "realistic" languages ;)
4) Encourage bilingual players to come to your mud and use real languages

I'd go for number 4 if at all possible, but failing that and a doctorate
in an appropriate field I'd settle for 1 or 2 :)

Sam