Re: the two lists idea...

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 05/10/96

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Rose Witt wrote:

> If Newbies can not turn to those who know, who can the turn too.
> And to those who can code, what if a person(such as myself) can code in
> C and C++, but is new to the mudding. My main problem is knowing where
> to put things.  Put a code in front of my, tell me what you want and I
> can get it done. Working on docs for newbies is a great Idea, Three
> cheers to all involved. Special thanks to all who answere the "stupid"
> questions. There are alot of muds in need of good coders, so feel
> accomplished in creating good coders.

	EXACTLY!  Thank you for making my point.  Newbies should turn to
those who know -- their stupid C questions ("What's a pointer? -- duh")
should be directed towards comp.lang.c, they might get a few flames, but
since that newsgroup is for C programming, I don't see how it could be
called off-topic.
	Furthermore, if you know how to program in C and C++, then you
shouldn't have a problem finding where the hell everything is in the
source code by looking UNLESS you suffer from laziness (and if so, then
why are you bothering to post?).  Let me assure you, 99% of the newbie
questions are things that are probably covered in every single C-primer
availible.
	We're not here to teach them how to code!  We're here to discuss
CircleMUD, and I wish everyone would just shut up about this.  This is
neither helping newbies, nor is it about Circle.  This is my last
contribution to this thread, and if you know what's good for you, you'll
stop, too.
	But remember this, many people (including myself) are not here to
teach newbies how to code.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm here
to discuss ideas, perhaps pass along a bit of code, and occassionally pick
up some code of interest to me so I don't reinvent the wheel or so I have
some reference when I'm writing my own code.  Newbies asking CS 1
questions and newbies asking relevant Circle questions are different, but
sometimes too related ("could someone write me some code for
multi-classing?" or something stupid like that).