Re: race/class menu

From: The Prophet (prophet@host.vivid.net)
Date: 06/14/96

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Thomas Pedersen wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Dann Fuller wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, The Prophet wrote:
> >
> > > Dann> Except that you could easily say that since the Troll Hordes swarmed the
> > >
> > >  So what if say... a monk finds a baby troll and out of compassion trains
> > > him, hoping that it will not be like its fathers.. or, what if there is
> > > another troll order? You are saying that humans/other races make up the
> > > most of monks. What if the trolls make up the greatest percent of monks?
> > > IMHO there should be no race restrictions.
> >
> > Heh.  Good point.  I suppose this is where the local flavor of the Imps
> > comes in.  I don't agree that there should be no race restrictions, but
> > then, that's why I run my MUD, and you yours.  :)
> >

> Ofcourse there has to be racial restrictions.  A slow, dumb troll with
> close to no dexterity couldn't possibly swiftly kick anyone without
> announcing the kick 10 seconds in advance, just like a puny hobbit would
> make an awfull fighter.  Get real, there has to be racial restrictions.
> Ok, let any race be whatever they want, but you have to restrict them.
> Why have races at all if you dont?
>
> But also a good point, I'm glad not all muds follow the same "rules".

  I am not saying anything against racial modifiers, modify away. What I
was saying is that every class should be available to every race. If an Ork
Mage doesn't have the concentration to start a fire with gun powder, then he
made a bad career move. In my descriptions I do recommend certain classes
and explain the strengths and weakness's of a race, but I do not limit
the class choices.