Re: [Circle] Memory problem?

From: Hades (tourach@servtech.com)
Date: 08/06/96

> I have installed Oasis and a few other pathces as well and fine maybe in some
> twisted way you think we deserved this but I honestly was looking for some
> help here not to be ripped into.  I would consider myself a decent coder
> and I have looked over all the stuff I have installed before I put it in
> but I am at a loss with this one.  I don't even know what kinds of errors
> to look for.

That's the whole thing. There ARE NO ERRORS. It's a memory leak. Memory is
getting allocated without ever being given back up. Unless you know C
decently, I honestly think you are going to have a hell of a time tracking
it down.

> I'm sure there are a few other people out there that can
> learn from our mistakes and there may even be one or two who have these
> problems without patching in code.  The whole reason I asked the question
> was because I was a loss as to how to go about solving the problem and
> wanted some advice on which direction to go.  Anyone out there have
> any ideas?

Possible memory leaks:
read_object() without extracting it
read_mobile() without extracting it
CREATEing stuff that's never used
CREATEing stuff which doesnt need to be CREATEd
AN olc bug that doesnt free up those dumb arrays they use to allocate world
space

In all honesty... you have quite an undertaking ahead of you trying to find
a memory leak when you dont know where to start looking. And only you can
tell yourself that. Damn leak could be anywhere in your entire code.

Hades