Re: [Circle] The whole hp/damage thread

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 08/07/96

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Hades wrote:
> My thoughs on hps, and why hps are shows as a percentage on EbonMists
>
> You get more hps as you get higher in level because you get tougher, more
> battle-hardened. 4 hp from a dagger to a lv 1 man with 6 hps is damn near
> deadly... like he got knifed in the gut. He just lost 66% of his 'life'

Right.

> The lv 30 warrior with 356 hitpoints takes the same damage. That is a little
> over 1% of his hitpoints... the equlivant to a papercut to a lv 1 6hp man.

Right again.

> Although that dagger wielding orc knifed the man in the gut, the same thrust
> only barely scratched the seasoned warrior, because the warrior knew how to
> turn with the hit, how to avoid the brunt of the damage. That seasoned
> warrior wont allow for the dagger to slice his gut open, and if he did, that
> would be a critical hit, and tghus do more damage.

Well, if you really wanted to make this accurate, you'd determine a fixed
number of health points (well, sort of fixed) that would only change
slightly with level increases.  For example, start it with 50, and run it
up as high as 75 or so for the highest-level characters.  Then add a
bunch of skills, like "dodge," which would automatically come into effect
as soon as a fight started.  This way, the weapon itself would become
almost unimportant, and instead the skill of its wielder would be the
most vital part of winning a battle.  This way, also, you don't have to
have between 300 and 400 different weapons for fighting different
levelled mobs (since that dagger will only be effective at all until
you're level 3 or 4, then you need something else - then your Magic Sword
of Ares won't kill those level 30 or 35 monsters any more, so you need a
Super Magic Sword of Ares, Mark Two, then an Incredibly Powerful Magic
Sword of Ares, Mark Thirty-Seven, and so on).

Of course, implementing this would be incredibly difficult, since it'd
require revamping all of the current weapons, deleting all the players,
changing pretty much the entire scheme of Circle, and some other things,
too.  And I don't even know if it would be worth it.  But remember that
even those huge muscle men we affectionately call the "Chinese
Women's Olympic Diving Team" can be killed by a dagger, and with as much
ease as you could kill a regular person - strength doesn't matter, your
skill at evading dagger thrusts does.

> See how that view works also?

Yeah.  I don't think I like it as much, but it's a lot more feasible than
"my" method.

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa