Re: [Circle] The whole hp/damage thread

From: Hades (tourach@servtech.com)
Date: 08/08/96

> > Uh... daggers are 1d4 for a reason... 1 = a scratch, 4 = a hard pierce into
> > your gut... I think the random numbers work great, it sctually makes sense.
>
> No, it doesn't.  After all, if this is someone who just started the game
> fighting someone who's been working at it for a week who manages a "hard
> pierce into [his] gut" that causes four points of damage...  no.
>
> And if this is one newbie fighting an experienced player who somehow has
> 6 hp...  how is it that the newbie is able to hit someone who's
> experienced that hard?  It doesn't make sense at all.

Exactly... that's why experienced people dont have 6 hps.

> Someone who really
> knows how to use a dagger well should be able to kill an experienced
> player (500hp) with it as easily as he'd kill a newbie (5hp).  After all,
> even experienced players have vulnerable spots...

So you mean to tell me that someone very proficient with a knife could just
as easily kill a small chaild as he could kill a Navy SEAL or US Marine? I
doubt it. The kid you'd stab through the head because he wouldnt know any
better. The marine would avoid the shot, taking a scratch whereas the kid
would take it in the brain.

and they don't get any
> less vulnerable the more proficient you get with magic, or whatever.

Exactly... that's why mages in AD&D get 1-4 hps per level and warriors get
1-10. A lv 20 warrior maxxes with 200 hps, much more experienced and hard to
kill than the mage who maxxed with 80. And it works the same on muds. What
mud have you ever seen where a mage gets as many or more hps than a warrior?

> I agree that there should be some randomness to account for "luck" or the
> weapon hitting some kind of fault in your opponent's armor.  I just don't
> feel that a 400% increase in damage based totally on what mood the
> computer's in today makes sense.

Who the hell ever sugegsted that?