Re: [Circle] Fountain_with_affects.

From: Graham Gilmore (gilmore@gmgate.vircom.com)
Date: 08/19/96

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Linebacker wrote:

> At 06:22 PM 8/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
> >I was wondering if anybody has done a fountain that will affect a char
> >when they drink it, I too kthe poison and duped it to make the tm 4 ==
> >AFF_FLY, but how do i use this? I can't seem to find where they call the
> >function for poiosn, if i enter any number besides 0 then it is poisoned.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> You could just write a spec_proc for an item called fountain that will
> affect the char with whatever spell  when the right command is typed, for
> example,
> drink fountain. (from the players point of view, they think they are
> drinking from
> the fountain but all they are really doing is activating the spec_proc that will
> place a spell affect on them)
> I believe an affect_to_char is the best way to do this. grep for that and
> you should
> get the picture.

	A method which would be more flexible would be to create an apply
for objects called something like DRINK_SPELL which would take a spell
number as its modifier (you could work directly with aff bitvectors as
well, but with spells you don't need to worry about removing it later)
and cast the spell on whoever drinks from the item (with a little
tweaking of the do_drink code, or whatever it's called).
	Extending this a little to make it a bit more "realistic" (tm),
you could also adjust the fill & pour code so that whatever you were
filling or pouring into would acquire the same DRINK_SPELL as the
container from which you are filling/pouring - and you could remove the
flag once the drink container was empty.
	Similarly you could also create an EAT_SPELL which would cast a
spell on whoever ate the item....  Just another idea for you.  :)

	Graham Gilmore