[Circle] [way off the smoke wagon topic] Running Under Win95

From: Linebacker (linebacker@microlink.net)
Date: 08/22/96

At 09:05 PM 8/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>As a Linux user and a WiNT user, I can saee the arguments from both
>sides...  If you have the money to spend then for now Winxx is probly the
>best way to go for developement... as for more kernel crashes than seg
>faults... that is hardware related not software... unless you have a
>really old or alpha copy of the kernel....  I DO NOT WANT TO START A

if anything I would develop on linux and run in windows. Linux runs it's
compilers significantly faster than windows, (so does OS/2) and it is
much easier to jump around to different files with Linux. (You can't beat
a well configured X-windows system, yea you can alt-tab between windows
in Win, but still a lot slower.) I am also an NT user and will always use
NT for my office type needs, but for development I have to go with linux.

Besides, anyone that knows vi pretty good would run circles around someone
with the same ability using a windows based editor.(except vi for windows,
hehe, although I still have not checked that one out yet) Yea you say you can
mouse to anywhere on the screen, a few keystrokes in vi will do the same, also
you can go directly to a line in question, instead of messing with a scroll bar
or page down)

As for the kernel panics, I have had about 3 kernel panics in my 2 years using
linux. I can't recall the cause but surely much less than protection faults I
have received.

Anyways, anything that will compile the fastest is for me, I hate waiting for
compiles. I can deal with the rest.

as a side note, (man i am way off topic roday) I have Borland 4.5 for
win95/311/dos
and was wondering if anyone has the 5.0 development suite? Is it really anything
more than 4.5 that is worth it? (I can get it for 85$) Beides the java crap,
I have
no interest in that.

Thanks, Chuck

btw: not a flame to anyone, just like defending linux/unix.