Re: [Circle] [SYSTEM] porting circle to other languages (fwd)

From: Jeeves (philipe@[198.49.101.10)
Date: 08/30/96

> I have not seen a perl mud..  It would be interesting, but I have a
> feeling it would be really slow, since perl isn't the fastest thing around.
> Did I really see someone on here that wanted to port circle to Fortran?!
> Now that is the worst thing I've heard in a long time.  It's downright
> stupid, IMO of course.  But whatever floats your boat. :)

Better yet, maybe I'll compile my CircleMUD code down to assembly
and transfer it to my TI-85 graphing calculator (with added RAM and a
bit of external storage space). With a program called ZSHELL, you can
actually run assembly language programs on the calculator, so the mud
would be single-user. The only trouble is that I don't think a
calculator can connect to the internet. Even if it could, what kind
of domain name does a calculator have?

Also, I'm still looking for programmers who will help me port
CircleMUD to FORTRAN. Not every platform runs C programs all that
well. We could do worse (for example, port it to BASIC or COBOL).

Acronyms used in this letter
MUD - Multi User Dimension
FORTRAN - FORmula TRANslator
BASIC - Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
COBOL - COmmon Business-Oriented Language
TI - Texas Instruments
PERL - Practical Extraction and Report Language