Re: [IDEA] Mortals and Immortal help topics

From: Raf (picard@indigo.ie)
Date: 09/29/96

"Daniel W. Burke" <dwb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I don't understand the point of keeping help from classes for one... what
> if a player decides to be a cleric, then wants to learn about the other
> classes before creating a character in that class... then the player
> would want to read the help on various things another class can do,
> spell/skills etc...

I agree with this, but if somebody wanted info on other classes, they
would most likely just create a cleric (or whatver) char and see
then. If players knew more about the spells/skills of other classes,
this would help them in deciding which people to group with, etc.

> And as far as restricting imm command help, I don't quite understand the
> point in that either... what's the harm in a mortal knowing the ban command?
> or freeze for that matter?

Well, some immortal commands seem to be almost magical and
impossible, and explaining their function and use in the help files
takes away from the magic(?) of it all, and players might have less
respect for immortal powers. Or, as has happened a couple of times to
me, certain mortals try and tell me how to run the mud.
eg 'This player is a prick, and he should be banned' or 'Ah, go on
and set my xp up a bit, its not logged so nobody would know.'
Now, they wouldnt know some of this info unless they had read the
help file, and in doing so, they annoy imms more. If u want your
players to know all your imm commands, then fine, keep it the way it
is in stock.

/Raf