Re: CODE: Reordering equip list

From: Admin of The Keep (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 09/29/96

On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, Rasmus 'Con' Ronlev wrote:

> Anyway, the way I did it, was to just hack the look way object/waer
> possitions are shown to people. You can build up an array that defines
> what tway the list should look without editing the original values of the
> WEAR_xxx possitions, and still having that HOLD objects at the bottom even
> though there might be WAER_xx possitions that have a higher number.
> Havent gotten the code arround, so I can't really give any code hints at
> this moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a problem with this.  Presume we have
something like:

  <worn on body>  a metal breastplate
  <wielded>       a metal broadsword
  <held>          a small, metal shield

Now, these are metal, 1.metal, 2.metal to CircleMUD.  If you change the
way they are shown.. say:

  <wielded>       a metal broadsword
  <held>          a small, metal shield
  <worn on body>  a metal breastplate

The cosmetics have changed, but Circle still regards the breastplate as
under the keyword "metal", so even if the player sees that the broadsword
is the first in the list, typing "remove metal" will remove the breast
plate and not the sword.  Furthermore, 2.metal refers to the broadsword,
while cosmetically it shows 2.metal *should* be the shield.  So "remove
2.metal" removes the sword instead of the shield.  Finally, the new
display shows the plate as the third object with the keyword metal, which
means it should be referred to as '3.metal', however, how it's shown and
where it actually is differs, so "remove metal" removes the breastplate,
instead of the broadsword as the display shows.

This can be extremely confusing, especially troublesome during battle
where you might want to switch weapons and when you 'remove small' because
'eq' shows the small sword as the first thing in the list, while in
reality it is next to last and you remove your shield, then are brutally
mauled and die... :\

There's really no reason to change the display order, nor the actual order
of the list -- is there?

  <*=-+Daniel+-=*>
  "Forgive me father, for I am sin."