Re: Players with (null)/faulty names

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 10/28/96

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Rasmus 'Con' Ronlev wrote:

- I'm having a problem, that I can't really trace down. I don't know if it
- is present in the standard Circle3.0 code, as I seem unable to produce
- this myself, but sometimes players are able to
-
- log in with a (null) as the player name, or
- log in with control characters as, or as part of a name.
-
- I suspect it's part of the _parse_name function that might not filter out
- controll chacacters and stuff, but what is REALLY wierd, is the fact, that
- the strlen() < 2 check in nanny() seems to let players pass by using a
- NULL name as the name... It puzzles me quite a lot. I was wondering if
- anyone else had experienced this problem, and in case they did, how did
- you fix it ?

I think you may be looking in the wrong place.  I doubt people are logging
in with control characters and null names.  It's more likely that
something in your code changes the name pointer.  I'd check any code
you've added recently.

If you don't have RCS or something similar, I highly recommend everyone
gets it.  WHen you get weird problems like this you can track the cause
down much easier.

Sam