Re: Re[2]: [Circle] Win95 - HELP!

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/02/96

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Gary Barnett wrote:

>  >  Actually, that's probably the major reason why it's lagging so
>  >  horribly.  Simply put, anything that tries to be pretty as hard
>  >  as Win95 does, will have a few short-comings (power, speed, how
>  >  easy it is for advanced users to get to features without having to
>  >  go through a billion menus)...
>  >

> Hmm. Then why do I write code on win95, and test on it? Because it works
> and it's a hell of a lot easier to debug problems than with GDB. It also
> allows me to stay organized and have all the information I need at my
> fingertips.. Pictures ARE easier than command line.. provided you can
> configure your pictures to efficiently organize your work. As to actually
> running a production mud on windows.. I agree, it's just not stable
> enough and lacks key requirements for a server OS.

Heaven forbid I start an OS war by saying something completely
unrelated to whatever you're talking about above.  I never said
anything about Win95 not being "easy" (I called some of it's
features inconvenient and did say it is lacking in power).  I
said Win95 is too "pretty" to pack the speed.  And I certainly
didn't say that you shouldn't/couldn't use Win95 for testing your
code or even running a mud.  You're reading a lot more into what
I said than there is.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is your choice.  I never said
anything neccessarily bad about Win95.  It's just too focused
around the interface to have a lot of fast, powerful features.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com