Re: [idea] VNum sharing for strung items

From: Sammy (Samedi@cris.com)
Date: 01/25/97

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:

- I would like to have a specific vnum (say 1000 for the purposes of this
- discussion) that all objects will use when they have any of their
- descriptive strings modified.
-
- The reason I wish to do this is that when using OLC, any modification
- of the prototype for an object will cause all of the existing objects using
- that same vnum to revert to the prototype.

I don't really get what you mean by the rest of your mail, but as far as
dealing with objects of the same prototype having different strings, it's
a simple fix.  All you have to do is change the code in oasis that updates
all the objects with the vnum you're editing and check to make sure the
strings are the same as the prototype before modifying them.

If you get a copy of act.build.c from my ftp site, you can look at
fix_obj_strings() and fix_mob_strings().  I dunno if it'll drop right in
(it depends on whether or not oasis uses a buffer when editing objects and
mobs or if it modifies the prototype), but it should give you an idea of
what needs to be changed.

Sam