Re[2]: Autoeat/autodrink

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 07/25/97

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:42:26 -0400
Ron Cole <roncole@SHORE.INTERCOM.NET> wrote:

<snip>

> I don't see a problem with this, since it's probably the very first thing people
> add when they get a mud client, because eating and drinking are more of an
> annoyance than anything else, on most muds anyway.

I'm adding a "doesn't need to eat" "Doesn't need to sleep" and "Doesn't
need to drink" set of advantages on my mud.  The opposite is also
available, "Likes to eat constantly," "Must drink huge amounts of water"
and "Oversleeps at every opportunity"

For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about, take a look
at GURPS.  (http://www.sjgames.com/)

The system allows advantages/disadvantages/quirks/abilities to be chosen
at character creation time. A starting point of around 100 character
points allows players to customize their character from the available
options in any manner they choose, subject only to point limitations.

This system is uniquely suited to a mud, in that the system is [mostly]
internally consistent across all types of characters and abilities.
Combat is also brutal and quite realistic, while not becoming boring.
You can also extend the system to fit any world, without creating a
huge mess, provided you follow some simple guidelines.

--Mallory