Re: Comparing with SMAUG

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 07/31/97

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, James Kane wrote:

> Back to the original topic....
> Exactly what about SMAUG is that the original poster likes from the players
> point of view?  Sure it's heavily featured with clans and what-not but this
> is
> all fairly easy to add to Circle (several patches for this type of stuff
> exist.)

I think the poster was more interested in smaug from the admin point of
view.  *shrug*  It might be worthwhile to get a copy just to see what it's
got.  Since most of the popular ideas are available on the ftp site or
snippets page, maybe smaug's admin features are ideas we haven't thought
of.

> >From a coder/builder point of view the ability to add classes, clans, races,
> etc. from a text file is appealing and one I'm putting in myself if I find
> the time
> in my overworked, underpaid schedual. :)

I'm all for that.  Clans are simple to put in a file and I think there's
some public code that uses external clan files.  Classes are easy to do
since they all pretty much work the same (tables of bonuses, thacos,
hp/mana gain, skills, etc).  Races would be difficult unless they were
pretty simple, since a lot of people throw a lot of custom code in for
each race.

I've done some work on file-based spells.  Since the majority of spells
fall into the categories of damage, healing, or affect-setting, those can
easily be put in a file.  If you want to get fancy you could use a
scripting language to take the place of some of the custom spell code.

Sam