Re: Multiple Mud

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 08/18/97

On 8/19/97 4:03 AM, Joshua Mentzer (mentzer@TEXAS.NET) stated:

>  What I am curious about, is if anyone has seen or done any multi-mud
>interaction? I can't think of an easy way to describe what I am thinking
>of, but the easiest example of what I am thinking would be of a world
>with multiple dimensions, each dimension being a different MUD, thereby
>having its own unique feel.
>  I can think of dozens of problems that would arise in such an
>undertaking, but it could be very interesting for players (switching
>dimensions where they might find an NPC of themselves, events in one MUD
>affecting those of another...many things).
>  So, has anyone ever seen anything of this sort?

Ultima Online sort of does this... I know its not a MUD, shouldn't dare
be called a MUD, but it is an online role playing game, so it sort of
qualifies for discussion.

They use about 30 or so servers.  Each server controls a piece of the
world.  When a player moves between areas/servers, they are seamlessly
transferred over... or something like that.

- Chris Jacobson