Re: Woohoo.

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/20/97

George writes:
>[...etc...]
>print_object_location:1354 requested 8192 bytes, received 12320.
>write_to_output:987 requested 12288 bytes, received 32384. (***)

This is a good example of why the buffer-selection policy needs more
work, though - maybe using best fit instead of first fit.  Of course,
any data structures student will tell you that no matter which policy
you use [first fit, best fit, worst fit, next fit, etc.] you can
construct an example in which the policy is catastrophically bad; but
for Circle I think best fit is probably best, as long as it can be
done quickly.  (Actually, since there are only a small number of
possible sizes of buffers, maybe each size should be kept on its own
linked list -- e.g. instead of a single list of type Buffer *, have an
array of type *Buffers[], where Buffers[i] is the beginning of a
linked list of buffers of size 2**i).

-Jeremy