Re: Liscensing and Copyrights

From: David Kasprzyk (djk@NB.NET)
Date: 09/24/97

Jeremy Elson wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing arguments on this point, but my first
> inclination would be that an independent plugin module for Circle
> might indeed be saleable.
>
> What do you think, sirs?

    Well let's look at the big software companies. Let's say Adobe Systems Inc.
produces a piece of software that runs in the Microsoft Windows 95 GUI software.
The Adobe software will not run in the MS DOS 7.0 OS, it will only run in the
Windows 95 GUI software that runs on the DOS 7.0 OS. Just like Circle MUD runs on
an OS and the external functions that people write use the functions within Circle
MUD. The Adobe software still uses the functions of a copyrighted MS Windows with
the only requirement for Adobe being that they notify the buyer of their software
that MS Windows is copyrighted and that the MS and Windows logos are registered.

    Another example would be Avery Dennison Office Products (the label people)
writing and selling macros for MS Word or Corel Word Perfect so that people could
use new label products with software that went to market before the new labels.
Again the only thing that Avery is required to do is give credit where credit is
due.

    On a more personal opinion note. Circle is suppose to be free ware, as intended
by its author. As normal social etiquette would dictate the purpose for this is
that if you are capable of creating some new code that enhances the software that
was GIVEN to you, you would be expected to repay that kindness with an offering of
your own. This is what I consider the spirit of the statements set forth by the
creators of Circle MUD. Although Bill Gates didn't accumulate 36 billion dollars by
sticking to the spirit of his agreements, just the letter.

    For what it's worth.
--
  David J Kasprzyk
  mailto:djk@nb.net