Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 09/27/97

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> That's a new one.  Personally, I don't actually scramble text for
> languages, I just indicate that they couldn't figure out what was
[...]
> text; unless you want the actual player (not the player character)
> to be able to decipher the language (and then that makes skills and
> spells to that affect worthless).

You can scramble preditactably however, which I find more fun, since
players can learn single words, but would have a hard time writing down
every single word so they can translate everything exactly.

Each language has a string of characters, from which a letter is picked
for each letter of the source word. The number of the letter picked is:

Square of the value of the letter plus offset of the letter times seven,
modulus number of available letters.

Drow has a lot of apostrophes in that string, dwarven has a lot of zh and
and Godtoungue has only vowels (looks quite interesting when you others
hear you speak :)

The player will be able to learn single words (since e.g. "sword" in Elven
will always translate ot the same), but it will be tough to figure out
what the perosn is talking about based on that (I guess you could set up
the client to #substitute each word, but it would be quite slow with
many words).