Re: An uncommon problem...

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 09/28/97

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> the first place.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
> I've always thought that the idea was to have a game where the
> character takes part in the world, not where the player
> outsmarts and overcomes additions to the game.
>
> Did no-one catch this, or does everyone disagree?

Daniel, I see what you are saying, but I disagree. I don't disagree in
the manner of screaming, shouting, frothing disagreement. I disagree in
the manner that I *want* the players to be able to spend their time and
energy deciphering things on the MUD. If that means translating a
'foreign' language, so be it.

I am coding my MUD to entertain and challenge the players. If that
challenge comes from killing 30 mobs in 2 seconds, or writing a tintin
script to substitute scrambled language for their (real life) native
tongue, or in solving how to get through an area where the rooms are a
maze and the exits are obscured or whatever... so be it.

I am here to give the players a challenge via their characters while in
the world that the builders created that obeys the laws of physics that
exist and are enforced through my code.

I do see what you are saying, Daniel, I just happen to disagree with it. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.