Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Whitey (zacker@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 09/29/97

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Cris Jacobin wrote:
>
> -+        Well as far as players eventually catching onto a particular
> -+language, isn't this the way it works in the real world?  Seems for most
> -+non-oriental languages at least, hang around long enough and you start to
> -+pick up a word here and there.
>
> No, that isn't how it works in real life.

 Actually, that IS how it works in real life.  Hang around alanguage long
enough, and you'll pick up the words and phrases most commonly used.
Probably wouldn't be able to write any of them down correctly, and you'd
prolly have a thick accent, but you could learn that way.

> The problem I'm having
> is that the player *character* is supposed to interact with the
> world, not the player himself.  In real life, you're the character,
> figuring out things for yourself, without any higher intelligence
> defeating the language scrambling code and making you act on that.

 Well, that's a subtle point.  I've met very few mudders who are willing,
or even capable of completely seperating their personal knowledge from
their character's knowledge.

 I think the current way of mixing up the letters to make a language
unintelligible is good.  This way, if a player wants to learn a new
language, and doesn't want to spend the money (or pracs), he can have
another player teach the most common words by switching between 'English'
and 'Dwarf' then saying the same word out loud.  That's the way people
learn in real life.

Whitey