Re: An uncommon problem...

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 09/29/97

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:
> pulling a rope, and walking up stairs all within 5 minutes; I don't
> really think it necessary for them to do so.  It'd be nice to be
> able to, of course, but with people using "emote" to cheat the
> system, there was little other alternative.

If someone abuses 'emote', make a NOEMOTE flag, just like the NOTITLE
flag. I hadn't thought of that (the flag, that is) until you mentioned
the 'little other alternative'. While it's not perfect, I would prefer
that system over limiting the number of emotes that someone can do in a
period of time.

> I don't neccarily disagree with having common tongues, although having
> it to where everyone innately speaks it, I do disagree with it.  It's
> ultimately up to you to decide *how* you want the language system to
> function.

In a fantasy novel that I read a few years back it was commented that
merchants would not lose a sale over something as paltry as a language
barrier. This spawned a thought (with MANY holes in it) that the largest
merchants consortium (most likely a shipping company) would have declared
that a particular language, or conglomeration of languages, was their
standard and if anyone wished to do business with them, then they must
learn the new 'Trader's Tongue'. This would account for a wide range of
people knowing one language, but not as well as their native tongue.

"But that could never happen!!" Well.. It has happened in our world and
in our time frame. In order to be an internation pilot or air-traffic
controller, you must speak fluent English. Someone (The UN I would guess)
declared that this is so, and well... it is.

Like I said, there are tons of holes in the theory/chain-of-events, but
so long as you don't look too closely, you won't see them. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.