Re: Jesus walked on water...

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 10/17/97

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Andrew Helm wrote:

>If a player is over water don't let them drop their stuff. Instead,
>require them to type "drop!" in order to drop an item no matter

I did, I suggested 'drop sword overboard' or 'drop sword water'.

>what. I agree with Jeremy on this issue: an everyday command like

I also believe they shouldn't lose things, but then again, if you *really*
want to drop your sword in the water (by confirming it) then be my guest.
The 'extract_obj()' call should be taken as something to adjust for you own
MUD, not something set in stone. Preferably it will be changed to some
method where the players can get the object back (I kicked around the idea
of donating them but that made something somewhat realistic really
far-fetched.)

>drop shouldn't cause players to lose equipment. When you're playing
>a mud you don't necessarily realize you're over water, I mean,

Hopefully by reading a room description you can figure out you're over a
river, lake, or ocean.

>it's not like real life where you can feel the boat rocking,

No, but you can read where you are, typically the titles are something like
'The Great Midgaard Lake' or 'Over a big river.'

>see the waves in the water, or use your other senses. Accidents
>happen and causing a player to lose their equipment from "drop"
>just seems wrong to me.

This would actually be safer than 'quit'.  We're making the person make
absolute sure they want to do this before they lose the object.  Quit just
kind of says, oh, you hit that extra 't', ok, I'll drop everything.