Re: Bpl13 suggestion

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 10/30/97

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Rasdan wrote:

->int change_titles_on_level      TRUE;

Of course, you mean " = TRUE;".  I would suggest calling it
auto_title, which is more compact and convenient to keep track of.

->It will eliminate a lot of questions that are asked about how to change
->the default circlemud behavior.

More seriously, I'm all for entirely removing the auto title thing
from stock.

  - It's fluff.
  - It requires people to either come up with new titles when they add
    new classes/levels; or, as more often is the case, to just put in
    any stupid ol' thing.
  - From my experience, players ignore the level titles any way.
  - From my experience, players dislike having their customized title
    rewritten whenever they level.
  - Implementors who are serious about having auto-titles will find it
    a trivial thing to add.

It's also trivial to remove, but it seems removing the behaviour is
more popular than coming up with good level titles. It's a lot of
intellectual creative work while you're in the middle of adding levels
or classes, which ends up being more of a distraction than not; and
players don't care about the titles, as long as they don't get their
customized one over-written.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com
"...it often takes me many weeks of silence to recover from the
 futility of words." -- C.G. Jung