Re: Suggestions

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 11/04/97

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

>Personally, my view on OLC is that the underlying functions for the
>system should be completely independant of the interface.  I was
>thinking of writing the base functions to perform string setting, etc.
>but not the interface for such a thing.

Volunteer for new genolc.c interface routines? :)

>Note that I didn't mean, "features added/removed/changed," in stock
>CircleMUD, but a--hypothetical--derivitive of Circle released
>by...Bob...

BobMUD? KoepkeMUD? RhombusMUD?

>I think Jeremy's (as-of-yet incomplete) e-text system was/is supposed
>to incorperate alias saving, poof-in/out saving, etc.

I once toyed with the idea of lib/world/plr and extending the mob format to
save all the player specific stuff.  Then creating a new character feeds
info to the generic OLC routines, creates a new prototype, and saves the
char to disk.  Then you don't need a character editor, you have medit!

I'll do that if we ever get ASCII pfiles in stock code. ;)

>->No, not everyone wants races, or would want races too
>->different from the "standard" races.
>
>We're not necessarily talking about everyone, however.  We're talking
>about a seperate line derived from CircleMUD.  Thus, it'd be quite
>acceptable to add features that not *everyone* wanted.

FU-MUD?

>files).  Classes are too tightly woven into the CircleMUD stock code,
>IMHO, and that knitting needs to be either loosened up severely, or
>completely removed (I took the latter).

I removed them (at the request of the administration staff of my mud, not
my own choice) by simply setting every CLASS_xxx variable to the same value
and then fixing case statements.  Instant no-classes, or rather, every
class at once...but then you can get all the skills and such so it's ok for
a quick hack to clean later.

>  while (GET_LEVEL(ch) < LVL_IMMORT &&
>changed to
>  while (GET_LEVEL(ch) < LVL_IMMORT-1 &&

Yup.

>->In any event, everybody has a different idea on what makes
>->for a good clan system.
>
>Well, obviously, just because something is part of the (hypothetical)
>release of the derivitive, doesn't mean someone can't change it.

ClanMUD?

>I wouldn't touch mobprogs with a 10 foot pole.  The idea is to improve
>(in the opinion of some people) Circle, not to reduce it to an
>inefficient mass of string compares...

Another idea I had for world files, don't save as numbers (which causes
problems when you change #define's) but as strings so that you save the
value in constants.c and can renumber to your hearts content.  Then who
cares about bitvectors and everything else, they can be handle
transparently by a converter.

>->It has been tossed around, and the file conclusion is that
>->it would take up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much disk space :P
>
>Yeah, sure it would...

Sure, try it, especially on Windows95.