Re: [Off-topic] Just a follow-up to the swapping thing...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 11/05/97

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, j f chaos wrote:

->   I like to do the general stuff first and fine tune later.
->I am going to have to write a separate combat system for my mud and keep
->the original one also.

Why is this?  Perhaps you only *think* you have to write two seperate
combat systems, and there is a way around?  If you post your problem,
some people will probably have insight on it, and perhaps a more
elegant solution.

->   A logic engine would be great. And how about mob interaction, so that
->they aren't just there to kill. They could drop hints at where to go,
->maybe even just lead the character into an ambush. Even better would be
->to have the mobs attack each other (if they are a rival gang or such).

I was thinking that the logic engine, were it to be coded, would
handle simple thinks like determining if it is cold, and if mobX is
warm, and then return an integer based on said information.  It would
be up to other functions to call the logic_xxx functions, and to make
use of the returned information.  So logic_cold() wouldn't
automatically make the mobile where a coat if they were cold, but it
would return an integer, say 1 that would mean the mobile is cold, and
then the function that called logic_cold() could dtermine what to do
with that information.

As for mobiles dropping hints, etc. that would be handled by a
scripting language.  I have a lot on the TODO list for BobMUD, still,
and I've just finished stripping classes out of the MUD source and
moving them to external files, and am going to begin on the generic
OLC interface later today (unless I'm too busy with RL).

->   Someone could always just port some of the better patches over to
->BobMUD

Agreed.

-> You could include one zone, so that the user gets the feel for BobMUD,
->and
->how it works.

That was the intention.  Provide one zone, however small, something
like Limbo except with a few mobiles and objects, so people can see
what BobMUD is all about, and determine whether they can find some use
in it.  I think, however, that a lot of people won't use BobMUD
itself, just strip code from BobMUD to put into their MUD.  And the
beauty of it all, is that even if you are going to do that, you'll
need to know how to code some...heheh, die Circle Patch Kids!

->  I think the grey matter is great, it's what keeps us all the way we
->are, and
->allows us to be individual.

You know, I ought to be careful about how I phrase that.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com