Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Grep question

From: Jason Fischer (jasonf@CONNECTEXPRESS.COM)
Date: 11/17/97

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Sean Butler wrote:

> >I know there is an option, i used to use it, but I can't remember what it
> >is.  I have looked though all of the docs that FreeBSD has, including the
> >man pages, but I can't find it.
> >
> >Is it not there and am I going crazy?
>
> There is no such option.  At least not to my knowledge.  Besides, how could
> it know which files are ascii and which aren't.  Best thing you can do is
> use wildcards in the file name to match the extension. ie.

I don't know who originally posted (the one that Sean is responding to)
but yes, there is a version of grep abouts someplace (either that or I've
been taking the same drugs as the original poster) that will skip binary
files.  Also there is a way to check if a file is binary or not.  The file
command (see man file) checks a file's magic number.  I see no reason why
grep could do the same thing.

jason

--
Jason Fischer            |  Any smoothly functioning technology is
jasonf@iou.edu           |  indistinguishable from a rigged demo.