Re: Something about spells

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 11/29/97

On Saturday, November 29, 1997 2:20 PM, Soren P. Skou [SMTP:serces@MUD.DK]
wrote:
> Hi all.
>

> Now I've looked at the spellsystem for some time, and I wanted to do
> something about it. Not really change it as such, but make it with
> schools or something alike that.
>
> The idea is like this, take a wizard f.x. the PC gets HUGE Flaming
> spells, but without knowing how to protect him/herself from the fires.
> The mage must first master the spell 'Flame' to be able to do anything
> with fire.
>
> So the route to a fireball would be something like this :
> flame->Fire->FireBall
>
> But I have no clue right now on how to make this Fireball Dependant on
> Flame and Fire. (And to learn Fire, you need flame). Same goes for
> healing spells and so on.
>
> Anyone with some kind of hint/idea to how to do this one? (Just to get
> me started.. ;-)

Create a tree in the code. This tree will list all spells as branches on the
tree and thereby allow you to easily determine the prereqs for the spell,
or the bad affects if they don't have the prereqs.

This also allows you to merely draw the tree, with the leaf objects that
the player 'knows' when they type allspells or whatever.

I'm using something similar for skills, but not for spells, as I don't have
magic on my mud...

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks