Re: Spell Memorization System

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 01/27/98

It's your basic AD&D spell system, but for those unfamiliar with AD&D:

Mages have spell books, druids have tablets, clerics have prayer books.
Spells are divided into levels (first level spells = magic missile,
detect magic, etc., third level spells = fireball, detect invis., etc.).
You can memorize a certain number of each spell level depending on your
level (e.g., at level 5, you can memorize 3 first level spells and one
second level), provided you have the spell in your spell book (or
tablets or prayer books).  After indicating which spells you want to
memorize, it takes X amount of time to memorize them, depending on the
total levels memorized (the level 5 mage above needs 5 tics (one tic
times three first level spells and two tics times one second level).
Time to mem is faster if you are resting, slower if you walking,
and infinite in combat or sleeping or incapacitated.
After that amount of time, you can then cast the memorized spells
accordingly.  After you cast a spell, it is 'forgotten' until such
time as you can memorize it.

Arctic, being based on DragonLance, also has the moons affecting
spell casting ability.  You have to find new spell books (or tablets
or prayer books) with new spells in order to learn those spells.
And Arctic allows for "automem", where if you cast a spell, you will
automatically start re-memorizing that spell again.