Material Types and Weapon types (was Upcoming Patch)

From: Ray (ruppertr@SNYCORVA.CORTLAND.EDU)
Date: 02/05/98

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Edward Glamkowski wrote:

[Hey!  How about making "Quality flags?"]
> >Anybody have suggestions for types?
>
> EDGED and IRON are a good start.
> [UN]HOLY and BLESSED might be worth something (especially if you
> have undead in your world ;)
>
> How about other material descriptions, like PAPER or MITHRIL?
> I have actually made a unique bitvector for materials for objects.

A material byte is useful on objects.  It doesn't need to be a bitvector,
though, unless you'd like to support items made out of multiple types of
materials, which although an interesting idea, not one that I personally
think is worth limiting yourself to only 32 types of materials. ;)

Also having material types be defined separately allows you to implement
blacksmithing easier.  (an item can be scrapped at a forge to produce
basically a lump of whatever type of material it was made of, these
"lumps" can be forged into things depending upon your skill and the
material type.)

You can determine whether or not a weapon is "edged" by its damage message
("pierces","slashes", etc are edged, "pounds","hits","smashes",etc are
bludgeoning)  Splitting weapon "types" into slashing, piercing, and
bludgeoning makes more sense to me then adding what seems to amount to a
duplicate flag.  This weapon type can be used for such things as
determing whether it can be used by a particular class, whether or not it
can be used to backstab, and the effectiveness of armor against different
types of weapons.  You could even link this to the material thing if you
wished, making, for example, crystalline armor less effective against
bludgeoning weapons and more against piercing, or something.  There are
quite a few nifty things you could do with this.

I'm afraid I got a bit off topic there at the end,
                                                Ray