Re: ~'s

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 03/04/98

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Sammy wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, George wrote:
>
>> Actually, I made it optional to erase tildes after I realized nothing in
>> stock code cares. :)  I'll let the various (*cough* *cough*) OLC systems
>> decide how to do it.
>
>It makes sense to "fix" the stock distribution even if it's not really
>broken.  The patches affected by tildes (that I can think of) are any olc
>packages, the dynamic board code, and ascii pfiles.  Alias saving may also
>be affected if it's ascii-based.  You can probably count on one hand the
>circle muds that don't use at least one of these.

If someone mails me the show/hide_tilde() functions, I'll consider them and
your (tested version) patch. (If people really want it, they'll send it.)

Personally, I think the ~ killing is quite elegant even with its
limitations.  Consider the size and complexity of every other patch
compared to it.  The bonus is you don't even have to use it unless you
install one of those packages, in which case there is probably incentive to
write something better or change the terminator. (I know of a MUD that uses
CTRL+K.)

Comments?