Re: Invasion!

From: X Schiltz (joes@SKIPNET.COM)
Date: 03/04/98

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Wesley Fonvergne wrote:

>         I was tossing an idea around in my head, and was wondering is anyone else
> had attempted to implement it, because it sounds like a real pain. Wouldn't
> MOB invasions be great? I'm talking organized MOB combat against the
> player, where MOBs group together, and like a troop of 50 of them come in
> an slaughter the PCs...of course, they wouldn't be TOO difficult, because
> that would discourage the player, but it would certainly add interest to a
> MUD. Perhaps make MOBs do it randomly, so that players wouldn't have a
> schedule to follow. Invasions could be announced maybe a few minutes
> before, and PCs could group up to fight off the invasion, and perhaps
> making the EXP a little more to encourage player involvement. Of course,
> you could always LOAD mobs, instead of having local mobs actually walk the
> distance...but that would still be pretty cool. Anyone tried this yet? If
> so, hand out some pointers...and if not, well, hopefully I can do something
> with it. ;P
>                 [ Tadrith Skandrakae, Implementor of Dreamscape ]
>                 [     - telnet://mud.dreamscape.org:1234/ -     ]
>                 ["I lay my dreams before your feet;             ]
>                 [    tread softly, for you tread on my dreams.  ]

They use this in a highly popular commercial MUD called Gemstone
III(http://www.gemstone.com/). I REALLY liked this MUD(though you'll never
hear the users call it that, seeing as it has a very interesting
history(it was previously only available via various online services)),
and would still be playing, had I not the wanderlustish need to master my
own MUD. So now, instead of playing, I just steal ideas from(er...come up
with ideas that I realize are amazingly similiar to those used in)
Gemstone. God, I really loved it...
Let me get to the point...they had invasions(called by the same name,
incidently), a bunch of mobs would show up at the front gate(the message
for a loaded mob was, "An X just walked in." or some such nonsense, but
the same message as an entering mob, so you didn't know if it was loaded
or walked in.) Sometimes they were event related(ie:Every major holiday),
sometimes they were used to further the plot of the game(ie:An undead
invasion), and sometimes they caught everybody by complete surprise(don't
ask). The mobs would eventually filter through town, killing everything in
their path.
One thing that they would do, is make mobs for players of high
caliber(comparable to stock circle level 22+), most of which with rare
named items, a few of which with very good(highly useful) items.
That's all.

\  /
 \/
 /\
/  \
X Schiltz       MUD:telnet://dataserv.net:4000
(Joe Schilz)    homepage:http://www.skipnet.com/~joes/