Re: MSP Sound

From: Marco Paglioni (m.paglioni@ESA-GROUP.IT)
Date: 03/20/98

At 12.39 18/03/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>i want to remove the !!MUSIC(xxxxx) e !!SOUND(xxxxxxxxx) from the buffer
>>that will be sent to the player if he doesn't have a PRF_SOUNDS.
>>
>>wath is the fastest way to do it?
>>i have a circle3pl12 with the easy color snippet
>
>Actually, you have the whole system backwards.  The best way to do it is
>to call a send_msp_sound function, and then if they have the flag on, it
>sends, otherwise, it doesn't.  Trying to strip them from things is a heck
>of a lot harder.  It's possible, but NOT easy.
>
>If you want sounds in room descriptions, try this:  Make a 'code' to send
>a MSP sound code, sort of like a color code.  Then, have it send it
>through the send_msp_sound function again.
>
>It takes planning to get a good MSP system to work, but the results are
>well worth it.
>
>"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
>will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
>a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "

yes, but this put some problems in the use of MSP...
to have a function that send msp code in the output, i have to predefine
each msp sound in the same way i define the ANSI colors (i think you mean a
sort fo parse_color cloned with msp commands instead of ansi colors).
But in this way, i can't:
1) use new sounds without first recompile the src
2) let users recall sounds in emote,tell,say whitout telling them each time
the relative &xx corresponding to the sound
3) let use user defined sounds (two player exchanging sounds not in use in
the mud), because if the use the sound to a player
without the msp_sound flag, that player will see the command (and i don't
want this to happen).

So i still think that the best way (even if difficult to implement) to
archieve the MSP sound in the mud, is to strip that sound from the buffer
before sending to the player, letting builders and players to use new
sounds "on the fly".

so.. any help on how to implement the "cut" on the string?