Dice Rolls

From: Jonathan Barrett (mizzrym@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 03/27/98

While I was making a function to tell you how many die with how many
sides are needed to get an average of X and a range of x, I began to
wonder about the die system in general.  Why does circle use the die
system at all?  Wouldn't it be easier to just pick a random number
between x and X?

For example: Weapon damage...

You want and average dam of 20 and a range of +-10, you could choose:
10d3, 5d5+5, 2d11+8, and a few more combos

or you could simply say:
number(10, 30).

That would have the same effect and be quite easier.  I could think of a
few differences, like dice rolls more closely resemble D&D, but I can't
decide which method would be better.