Re: [CODE] [NEWBIE] Printing brief room desc when enter key hit

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 04/20/98

> One of my users asked if I could modify the source so that the brief room
> description is displayed when you simply hit ENTER (without typing any
> other command). I'm new to coding for CircleMUD, so I was wondering how I
> might go about this (i.e. where should I make a modification, and what
> kind of modification should I make). I'm using the stock CircleMUD
> 3.0bpl12 code, with only a few changes (abbreviations and a bug fix or
> to).

        Hey - no problem.  Find the function, command_interpreter() in
interpreter.c.  locate the lines that read

  /* just drop to next line for hitting CR */
  skip_spaces(&argument);
  if (!*argument)
    return;

  now, change it to something like this:

  /* just drop to next line for hitting CR */
  skip_spaces(&argument);
  if (!*argument) {
     look_at_room(ch,0);
     return;
  }

        Next time though, you might want to look through the code
yourself, or at least familairze yourself with the location of important
frequently used functions like command_interpreter, act, etc.

                I won't say the RTFC thing, cause I'm sure that someone
will have already sent it out before this message actually gets through,
but as is obvious, this takes about 20 seconds to realize and do.  It
wouldn't be a bad learning experience to figure this one out.

                                        PjD