Re: Circlemud design issues

From: ;P (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 04/20/98

> Just because you declare it 'inline,' doesn't mean it will be.
>
> >it can't properly predict the flow graphs of code once it is actually
> >executed.  Also, it won't inline every function -- that would make a
> >HUGE executable.  It tried to pick and choose; we should help it.
>
> You cannot inline every function.

i'm attempting to follow this discussion, but since i'm not from a
programming background there have been a few things that i am unfamiliar
with..for instance, what's inlining? i'm guessing that it somehow marks
certain functions as being used more often and thus makes them faster or
more efficient..is this accurate?

one thing i'd suggest to improve stock circle is perhaps changing the
command array into a hash table..has this been discussed before? i know
that this was done for at least one other mud base that i looked at..

siv